I got asked this question last week from an Adviser who is looking to attract new clients and a couple more referral partners. It’s an interesting question because it automatically suggests to me that this Adviser doesn’t believe they are credible already and I believe there are other Advisers across Australia who perhaps also feel the same. So, if you are doubting your credibility or your ability to articulate it then chances are the person opposite you will feel the same about you too.
We make decisions about credibility pretty much as soon as we meet someone. If you happened to go to an Advisers office that looked a bit shabby, old carpet, scuffed furniture, bad lighting, old lifts but he told you he had been in business for over 20 years, chances are you’d doubt his every word! So, there are the obvious simple ways we can build credibility, through the look and feel of your office, the way you dress and so on. Below are 4 really effective ways you can demonstrate your credibility. Have a read, perhaps there are one or two you could work on to help you demonstrate and articulate your credibility
1. Don’t Say How Good You Are, Others Will – if you truly give your clients the outcomes they are looking for and the experience to go with it they will sing your praises. Of all the ‘best practice’ advice businesses I talk to their number one attraction channel is their current clients, they have become raving fans because the Adviser is giving them the outcomes they signed up for. Getting others, whether it’s current clients or referral partners to talk about you is one of the fastest ways you can build credibility.
2. Become The Expert – experts gain instant credibility don’t they? how do you become an expert? form an opinion, research, write a book, blog, give presentations, create videos. A great way to build credibility in your area of specialsition is to stand for something and give exceptional value. There are more ways to become an expert but I’m sure you’ll agree, experts are normally credible aren’t they?
3. Use Lots of Case Studies – client stories/testimonial is one way but case studies are another great way and not to be confused. By using case studies and removing clients actual names and personal information you can demonstrate your capability and build your credibility that way. Three parts to a case study – 1. what was the situation before the client worked with you? 2. what was the action your business took, high level steps and finally what was the happy ending for the client?
4.Articulating Their Problem for Them – when you niche, when you start working with a target market you start to understand their problems better than they do because you are talking and solving theirs and others like them everyday. You start to understand their problem on such a deeper level than they could and they’ll be blown away by your understanding of their problems they’ll credit you with knowing the right solution.
Next steps? you could use all of those points and package them up so you have them ready for potential clients and referral partners or, you may wish to take small steps? if so, which step will you work on first?
1. Getting others to talk about you?
2. Show your credibility through writing, speaking or videos
3. Develop several case studies
4. Get to know a niche area better than they do themselves?
Have the confidence to show how credible you are.