Hello to all and welcome back, I trust everyone had some time off, recharged the batteries and are ready for a huge 2013! The beginning of a new calendar year is always an exciting time because it gives us the opportunity to plan, re-invigorate, set new goals and get motivated once more and 2013 promises to be nothing but dull in the financial services world! So, my question at this time of year is, “How will you stand out in 2013?”
There are a plethora of marketing ideas that you can use in this industry from the more traditional that yes, still work, to the more ‘fashionable’ that also deliver results. At the end of the day your message should always be about educating your audience in the value you can deliver for them. The more you can educate and demonstrate your value in your marketing the more success you will have with it.
In this post I’m going to touch on blogging, one of the more ‘fashionable’ marketing ideas because it is a fabulous marketing channel that if used correctly can quickly get you to stand out and get noticed by the RIGHT clients. Blogging is quick, easy to use and an extremely cost effective way to reach existing and new clients. One big question that gets asked a great deal from Advisers is “what would I blog about?” Finances, money, wealth accumulation, investments, whatever words you use have to be one of the most common subjects talked about in Australian households and businesses around Australia. There are new articles and information coming out everyday from everywhere! content is something Advisers have access to. However, below is a list of 7 suggestions that I trust will give you a guide as to what you can blog about so, you can attract and retain the right clients in your business by standing out from the crowd.
1. Be personable – have you had a recent experience, a story you can share that perhaps brings home the value your business can offer. A typical one can be about the subject of personal insurance. We all know too well that Australians are under insured and most of us have a personal story to tell about the benefits of taking out the right cover. Be careful with this idea that you don’t product flog, that’s not the message you want to send. It’s more a personal story that demonstrates the value of what you do.
2. Review a book or an article – make reference to the author and give your views. Perhaps you don’t agree with the points or recommendations the author makes or perhaps you do and there are some good ideas you would like your audience to know about.
3. Use visuals too – remember 80% of us are visual people, we like to see things. Perhaps you can share a picture of something that inspired you or a short video clip about a topic of interest for your audience.
4. Provide a step by step guide to something – perhaps a guide to saving money, investing in certain markets? financial education is a huge market, position yourself as the expert.
5. Answer questions – perhaps you have found that the majority of your audience have a similar list of questions, you could use your blog to answer those – keeping everyone informed.
6. Explain things – use your blog post to educate readers about why certain decisions are made in the industry – be their information source.
7. Develop a guide to something – again make it relevant to your audience
Sometimes making a list of topics can help to guide and motivate you. Be flexible though because blogging is all about real time marketing communications and remember too, that it has to come from you! Blogging is just one way to stand out there are many many more…..