So you’ve recently spent money on a new website, which is brilliant news, but, you aren’t getting the traffic you thought you would. The site looks great, you’ve got visuals, color, it’s alive and engaging.
I do get disappointed and frustrated when I hear others say all you need to do is get a new website. Financial services is one of the most crowded markets on the Internet – just having a website is simply not enough. You need a water tight marketing strategy that will direct people to your site – and there are plenty of ways to do that. Today however, I’d like to share just one with you because it works, it’s free and if your clients come from a regional/geographical area, this one idea is perfect for you. (it’s perfect for all really!)
This simple idea is to use free publicity. Journalists, whether online or print/radio/TV are constantly looking for worthy news stories to fill their allocated spaces. What’s a news worthy story you may ask? it’s different for different people but would be fair to say that anything that falls into the following:
1. Ordinary people achieving extraordinary things – like your clients through the advice you have given them
2. Information – a stepped guide to achieving something – like financial freedom/clarity/certainty
3. Discoveries – discovering how you can become debt free/invest for the future/make the right financial decisions
If you can:
1. Solve a problem – using your professional advice
2. Be unique – perhaps you have a mini course, cash management tool or similar that you have created
3. Be exceptional – show how you have delivered exceptional outcomes for your clients
4. Can tell a story – before ‘Joe & Jane” met you their life was X, now working with you, their life is X (better!)
5. Show stats – do you have statistics that support why people should engage with your advice?
6. Humorous – remain humorous and authentic
If you can tick off any of those then you have the opportunity to create yourself some free publicity and drive more traffic to your website – remember my last blog post “What is the role of marketing?” well if you get some free publicity you are taking on that role.
If you couldn’t put a tick next to any of those points above, think about ways you can, or ask me how. Because, it’s the way you package yourself up, the way you market yourself that can differentiate yourself in the market.
Too many times Advisers are scared off by compliance, legislation and other ‘stuff’ and don’t shout loud enough about all the brilliant outcomes and experiences you give your clients.