Email marketing and social media are great ways to reach out to potential and existing clients but I would suggest that the ‘old fashioned’ mail outs can still be extremely effective if done properly. The internet is a crowded place and through the client satisfaction surveys we conducted, we know that people still like to have something tangible in their hands to read, so lets take advantage of that and do it effectively:
- Decide who you want to mail out to. Is it your entire database or a segment? What is the aim of the mail out?
- Decide what you want the receiver to do, what action do you want them to take?
- Put some thought into the style of envelope you use – it doesn’t have to be plain white, make it interesting
- Create an offer that they can’t refuse
- Always create a headline for example, “how to/why/7 steps to” etc
- List the benefits/outcomes of taking action for them
- Explain why your offer should be taken up now
- Include a case study to demonstrate your understanding of them, the work you have previously done
- Make it irresistible for them to take action now
- Tell them exactly what you want them to do now, call you, email you etc
- Put a ‘use-by’ date on the required action
- Decide how you will follow up with those that don’t take action – don’t ignore them
- Set some sort of measure in place so you know how successful the campaign has been
- Consider using a copywriter to improve your message and conversion rate
- make sure you have the resources in place to accept the phone calls or receive the emails – create a procedure to ensure quality
I don’t know about you but nowadays the only mail I receive through the post is bank statements so something that looks interesting and helps solve my problems would be a worthy read.