The other day I was talking to an Adviser in Sydney, he works out of an office that is located in one of the suburbs and he was looking for ways to build his profile and presence in the area. Local media advertising works, if you commit and add value. Here are the steps I recommended he take, perhaps you could use them too?
1. Email the editor of the local paper to introduce yourself and provide them with 3 articles you have already written. These articles will be talking about how to solve specific problems that the reader may be experiencing. For example, “The 7 Steps to Financial Security” writing a small column with relevant valuable information on a regular basis can be an ideal way to introduce your business into a local area.
2. Include a professional photo of yourself.
3. Propose to the editor that you become a regular columnist, giving them great articles to publish and the reader great information. You decide if you want weekly, bi-weekly or monthly.
4. Include your QR code (quick response) which will link people to your website which will further reinforce your message and the value you add. This can act as a great tracking tool as well as a direct link to your website or landing page.
5. Always have a call to action – suggest a second opinion service
The most important element of this approach is regularity. If the paper wants you to pay for it, perhaps think twice, the positioning is more about you giving the editor relevant information that their readers want – it’s like the regular property guru’s or health experts you see popping up with their information. You come from a position of having regular information to share with readers that will help them make more informed decisions. Over time you create seminars that the readers can come to so they get to meet you face to face.
What are your thoughts? have you ever tried this approach?