If you are writing or involved in any digital marketing it is important to understand a little about keywords because, yes, they are important to use! What I wouldn’t recommend is trying to get your head around Google’s highly complex yet effective search mechanism! You’ll get a headache!
What you do need to know:
1. People enter certain keywords to find what they are looking for. Whether that is geographical location, role title, subject heading, words they come up with – understanding who your ideal client is, is really important – the more you understand them and talk to them, the more you’ll learn what keywords they use or, you could go to Google Keyword Planner and find out what people are typing, or not typing to find you!
2. Don’t create content just to satisfy an SEO expert! create content that is educational based, relevant and uses a selection of keywords – the more you post, the more Google will reward you.
3. Focus on content that is easy to read and easy to share. Word of mouth can help you be found a lot faster.
4. Once you identify some keywords that your ideal clients are using on the Internet, create a simple document listing them and refer to it when you are creating your content. Again, focus on quality content with a nice splatter of keywords rather than keyword, keyword, keyword!
5. Focus on the reader not the SEO! Create a content calendar, stick with it and write information that will help your clients
6. I know I said 5 things but this one is important too! Remember your headline needs a keyword too!
At the end of the day, it all comes back to knowing who your ideal client is, what problems they are trying to solve and sharing information with them that will help them and that they will share.