It’s nearly here, are you ready?
Have you reached all your business goals? did you retain the clients you wanted? did you attract the number of new clients you wanted? did you build more referral sources? are you getting more referrals? have you developed your communications strategy? I could go on! but one thing that I know every Adviser wants to improve year in year out is their professional network so I’ve listed ways in which you can do that before the end of this year, here goes!
1. Define your networking strategy – Who do you need to know and who needs to know you? write a comprehensive list of all your current contacts plus new contacts – who would you like to know? are there key business leaders in your area of specialisation? perhaps in your local business area? research the businesses and find out who you should put on your list.
2. Decide how you are going to contact them and put them into a spreadsheet – for example, call, email, request introduction via LinkedIn, write them a letter, send them a presentation. What is the action you need to take to meet each of these people? are there others that could introduce you to them rather than you going alone?
3. Decide which business/local groups you need to be involved in, which ones will support your networking strategy? think online groups and on the ground groups. research who is the key leader, contact them to introduce yourself. Schedule time in your diary to attend the on the ground events and participation in online groups.
4. Practice your “Hi, my name is and I XXXXXXX” remember the goal is to be remembered, referred and understood.
5. Allocate 30 minutes (more if you can) everyday to work through that list you created in step 2. If you know distractions will take you away from this strategy, share it with someone and make yourself accountable.
6. Think about who you know and how you can introduce others – take a leadership position and help others to network too.
7. When you are at Xmas parties, school events or any other event, speak with confidence, certainty and conviction – what you can achieve for clients is outstanding – talk about it!
Networking is relationship based marketing and relationships are what support and foster this great service based industry so the more networking that happens the more clients will enjoy the value of advice.
Passion + Persistence = Improved Performance